Ok, I think Angie said she was going to get the word out, but Katie passed her swallow test today with flying colors! I was quite thrilled of course, and the surgeon is just awesome and showed me the x-rays from it so I could see everything myself. It's nice because he takes some time to talk to you and check in and stuff. He was on the unit a lot today because he was there for some surgeries as well.
So next, we start feeding. They are starting her with 3cc's of sugar water(basically pedialite) every 3 hours. As exciting as this morning was, this afternoon was just as draining for me. It's very important that she doesn't throw up a lot because this will stretch and strain and could rip her repair. Also, reflux I think as well is something to be careful of because the acid could burn the stitches. And the surgeon said the repair is weakest around a week (we are a week in tomorrow). So after her first feeding she spit up 4 times. However, prior to the 3cc feeding, she had drank 15cc's of the substance containing the dye for her swallow test this morning. So I am hoping and praying that the spit up was mostly from the dye she drank (I think they just get the babies to drink as much as possible since they might not always cooperate....but Katie was quite ready to take food by mouth and drank a lot). But it was still very difficult for me to see her spit up so much, knowing the dangers an knowing I don't want to ruin how far we've come this week. So the doctor's discontinued the feedings for tonight, and we will try again in the morning. The nurse did tell me this happens sometimes, and I know her little digestive system hasn't had to digest anything yet. So I'm trying to be positive, but this entire experience is a rollercoaster.
So basically, if things go better tomorrow, they will have her on sugar water for a little while, then the chest tube will come out (at which point I'll be able to hold her again), then they will ease her into real feedings and wean her off the IV. At that point (which if all goes well will be 5 days or so), the surgeon will release her from his care and we will just be dealing with feedings and normal preemie stuff before she can go home. So please keep us in prayer. I feel like we're past a huge hurdle and maybe even at a half-way point. But I'm so nervous about un-doing what's been done, so please continue to pray for her feedings and come against any reflux and excessive spit up. I appreciate all of your prayers so much! Please keep them coming...Katie needs them.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment