Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Another huge prayer request!

I guess Katie is in the business of keeping us on our toes, because we've got another prayer request. Katie has a couple hemangiomas, which are collections of blood vessels, typically on the surface of the skin. They are often referred to as strawberry marks, and are like red birth marks that are slightly raised. They usually go away by the age of 9 or so. Very common and typically no big deal. Well, one of Katie's is located on her neck, and I noticed yesterday that there was a bulge bellow the surface under the hemangioma on her neck, so I did some research. Turns out they can sometimes grow on the larynx, resulting in airway restriction. Well, Katie has had some breathing difficulties. It's typically when she eats, so the doctor last week thought it was her reaction to reflux. After reading about this, I got her right into the pediatrician last night, who is referring us to an ENT specialist. So we don't know right now. Many of the symptoms of this also are symptoms of TEF, so it's hard to know. I have an appointment tomorrow. What I'm praying for is that this hemangioma is not on her larynx, or has not grown in a complicated way. Hemangiomas all grow for about a year, and then they "involute" or stop growing and get smaller. This type on the larynx needs surgery, which I am of course hoping is not the case for us. Please just pray for Katie, and for wisdom on the part of the doctors and for favor for us with the doctors. We are already fortunate to have an appointment this week, and my doctor was good about wanting it checked out right away. Again, I'm just praying it's a normal hemangioma, that maybe they will treat but not need surgery for, and also for wisdom and favor. And for strength for me. Nathan keeps a cool head, but I'm struggling. The idea of giving my baby girl up to the operating table for the 2nd time in 2 months is difficult for me. So please just be praying for us.

No comments: