Friday, May 02, 2008

So thankful...


So we got our praise report! Yesterday we had an appointment with an ENT, who was very knowledgeable and knew all about TEF and even knew Katie's surgeon. She was also very knowledgeable about hemangiomas, and thankfully, we don't have to worry about the one on Katie's neck! She said it is not attached to the larynx, and it cannot attach itself because there are layers of tissue separating the hemangioma from the larynx and they are not permeable. So there is nothing to worry about. She also looked in to Katie's files to read about a scope done prior to her surgery the day after she was born, and there was no indication of any hemangiomas at that point either. The specialist also explained the breathing difficulties, and they are related to her trachea, and how because she has TEF it sometimes I think folds or something. I don't remember exactly how she explained it, but it's something that can also just happen to any kid. So it's nothing to worry about at all as long as she is gaining weight and thriving. And she'll always catch her breath...she won't ever just not breath.

Thanks so much for your prayers. The thought of losing Katie for weeks again to the operating table was more than I could handle. You have no idea how grateful I am to just have her home in my arms where she belongs. My Myspace has a quote about being a premie parent, and how you learn to really appreciate life. It's so true.

So in other news, we're just enjoying watching Katie grow so quickly. Her weight gain is no longer a concern, and she gains more than a half pound per week. She's now about 6 1/2 pounds, which to us is huge! She's taken to nursing pretty well now, and we only do bottles at night now (mainly because she'll eat more from the bottle, thus sleeping longer, giving me more sleep in the process:). She's a tiny bit behind her age developmentally. She'll kind of fall between her gestational age and her true age for a few months I guess. But she's catching up. She actually even rolled over from the stomach to her back last week, so we're not too worried. She also has all of her follow-up tests next week, so we'll finish checking into the other premie concerns at that point. But we're not too worried. Nathan is an awesome father, and I couldn't imagine doing this without him! And the dog is adjusting. She gets jealous, but is also quite interested in the baby, and doesn't like it if I leave Katie upstairs sleeping in the morning when I come down. So that's us. I think thing are finally calming down around here now, and we can just enjoy our little baby. Thanks again for everything, and I can't wait to see you girls for Joe's wedding. Jen, you'll really be showing by then. I'm sure you're just too cute. Julie, you might be showing a bit by then. And I'm glad this pregnancy is going better for you.

No comments: