Ok, so the 2nd stage of Katie's life has finally begun...life outside the NICU. Anyway, Katie did come home Thursday afternoon. You have no idea what if felt like to finally be a parent walking out of the hospital with a carseat that had a baby in it! These are the things most parents take for granted (there are about a hundred of those such things, as I learned while I was in the hospital without my baby, and while visiting Katie in the hospital). But we'll save that conversation for another day. I can't even tell you all how my life has changed through all this, and how I feel like a completely different person in some ways.
Anyway, Katie is doing pretty well. The first night and day were difficult and a bit stressful. Eating can be such a process, and a stressful time if she doesn't eat much, because eating is what all of our lives hinges on right now. We don't want her to end up back in the hospital. Anyway, she is eating better today, with the help of some better bottles and nipples, and eating a little more as well. Her pediatrician is amazing, which is such a God thing, because I was still in the process of interviewing them when she was born. Turns out their office has quite a bit of experience with kids with TEF. They saw her on Friday, and she will be back again on Monday to see where her weight is at after te weekend. There are still many follow up tests with the hospital to do as well in the coming weeks. They are keeping an eye on her kidneys and her head concerning some things they've seen that are very common in preemies and typically resolve themselves. But of course, we still keep that in prayer, as we want to fall into that "typical" range. There are still very difficult times. Sometimes after I feed her and I'm holding her up, it seems as though she has reflux and like it could be painful(it's either that or gas...gotta ask the dr. about it). Those times make me just want to cry for her and wish I could take it all instead of her. But we continue to believe for full healing in her little body and that she won't deal with reflux, esophagus problems, or any other problems/side effects of TEF or being a preemie.
But on the happy side, as of Friday, Katie was up to 4 lb, 11oz. She drowns in newborn clothes still:) I bought some tape today so I can fold her onesies and sleepers in the back and tape them. We have a couple preemie outfits, some of which also seem kinda big. Which I don't get, because there are plenty of preemies smaller than her, but whatever. We still marvel and laugh everyday at her mass of dark hair. She's got the most beautiful blue eyes right now. We'll see if they stay or change. And she's an easy baby so far...only cries when she's gassy or hungry, or being changed if she's cold. She has daddy wrapped around her pinky and doesn't even know it yet, and I imagine he'll make her miserable when she's a teenager:). Ok, that's it for now. I love you all to death and appreciate you and your prayers a hundred times over. We still just take life one day at a time and have really learned to value life!
Saturday, April 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment