So, it's time for an update I think and I entitled this blog "Motherhood" because that is basically all that I have going on right now. I am starting to get hooked into some groups in Columbus and it's starting to feel more like a "life" here. The thing about life when you become a mom is that your whole world revolves around children and anything you can do that will allow you the cherished opportunity to relax and not have to entertain your children. Or at the very least, to take care of your children and entertain them along with other adult humans who can help preserve your sanity for a couple of brief hours. You stop even caring if you have something in common with the other women you are talking to because the very fact that they speak in full sentences and you don't have to wipe their noses is a huge improvement from your normal company of 2 year olds. So, I have been very lucky to be able to get involved in a support group for residents' wives at the hospital where Josh works. We have a playgroup activity with our children every Wednesday and we meet for food and adult conversation most Thursday nights. The extra benefit to this group is that everybody's husband is a grunt doctor like mine. So we are all equally desperate for people to hang out with and all understand what it feels like to be a single mom who actually has to maintain a healthy marriage without receiving any of the benefits of marriage (a husband who is present). We call ourselves the "widows club". I am also joining a group called MOMs. They have activities daily and it's nice because I can get out of the house pretty much every day if I want. (By the way girls, it's a National organization. So those of you who are soon to be joining me in the joys and perils of motherhood can find one in your area if you want in case you feel like you need a little support every now and then and need a fun place to go with your kids for sanity sake). So, all that to say... I am getting to know some people and that is very nice. Although, I have not yet met a single Christian woman who I could be friends with. I would really appreciate you guys' prayers for me that God would help us find a church, and that I can find at least one good Christian friend in Columbus. =)
So, Josh is doing well and staying extremely busy. He's actually on a really easy rotation this month so he's been home more than usual. He's had a lot of studying to do, but at least he's home more this month. He's only working about 70 hours a week this month. Yay! He also just had his attending evaluations done by his seniors. he got fantastic reviews and one attending even said he was "by far the most competent intern." Seth and Lilah are good. Lilah is getting teeth and is working pretty hard on standing one her own. She forgets that she needs to hold onto things and will stand for a few seconds. Someday soon we're hoping she'll realize that she doesn't actually have to hold onto things and can stand on her own quite well. Lilah is going to be my strong-willed child and is already flexing her will-power when she can. She also has a rather aggressive temper. We have no idea where that came from....
Seth has also hit a new milestone this week. He discovered that he is able to get out of his pack n play. This has been an exhausting milestone for us. Seth was up at 6:30am yesterday to ask Josh when he would be out of the shower. He refused to take a nap that afternoon because he "doesn't like it his bed." And last night we started putting him to bed at 8:30pm. He got out of bed and came out to the living room literally every 30 seconds until 11pm when we finally locked him into his room with a door knob cover. We talked to him, we sang to him, we prayed with him, we spanked him, and we put him back into bed completely ignoring him. We did everything that Dr. Phil, Super Nanny, and James Dobson all say to do to get your child to stay in bed... completely to no avail. There is no professional on child rearing that says to lock your children in their room until they fall asleep on the floor I'm pretty sure. But that is what we did. Because we had already put him back into bed at least 80 times. (I'm NOT exaggerating, every 30-60 seconds for 2 hours.) I found Seth asleep, standing up next to his bed, with his face and arms flopped across the side of his bed. He woke up at 7am today crying "Mommy! I need a hug! Please let me out!" That woke up Lilah. So I'm tired. Really tired. And I'm hoping Seth decides to start sleeping soon. I'm also just tired of diapers, and poop, and snot, and toys and messes, and of CONSTANTLY mediating fights over who had the toy first, and of picking green beans out of Lilah's thigh rolls. I'm tired of having to hide my car keys because my 2 year old son has an unnatural obsession with driving, and of having to remember to put my coffee up high every time I leave the room because Lilah will knock it over within 10 seconds. I'm tired of of digging chunks of my mail out of Lilah's mouth and of having to keep the bathroom door closed at ALL times because Lilah will eat the knobs at the bottom of the toilet while splashing in the toilet water. But now Lilah is flashing me a big snaggle-tooth grin and I admit that even though I'm tired of all the gross stuff that's part of motherhood, I really love that chubby grin and those smiles and cuddles that I get every once in a while throughout the day, or hearing Seth say that random hilarious thing. (He totally greeted my great Aunt from Texas last week who I've only seen like 3 times by saying "hi crazy mamba jamba!") Right now Josh is playing with Seth asking him about all the parts of his body. When Seth gets the answer correct, he gets tickled. Josh just asked him what his upper thigh is called and Seth just responded by pointing to his rear end and saying "it's my sugar pie!" I seriously have no idea where that came from! And even as I type and look at Lilah's single-toothed grin, I am realizing that she has a pistachio in her mouth that Seth gave her without me seeing him. I need to go dig it out of her mouth before she chokes. Love you girls! And thanks for giving me a chance to vent about my boring life with kids. =)
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment